Monday, October 28, 2013

Featured Artist: Handmade Gifts by Barb


Hi Barbara! Thanks for joining us today. Tell us a little bit about yourself!
My name is Barbara and I own Handmade Gifts by Barb and Designs by Barb. I have a husband, Bobby Mathews. We just celebrated our 58th wedding anniversary! I have four grown children, Janice, David, Terry, and Tim. We also have a pet dog named Hershey.


How did you get started in your handmade business?
I have been doing some type of craft since I was in Junior High School and the teacher ask me to draw a spider so I drew a large picture of a boy holding out his hand with a large spider on it.

I have done craft shows back when I was doing ceramics and did real good with the ceramics. I owned and operated a ceramic and porcelain doll shop. I was a certified teacher.
My Mother was a top quality seamstress so I guess I take after her. I started sewing when a junior in school too. I made my own clothes for High School and when my daughter was born made all of her clothes and some of my boy's clothes also.
I have also crocheted since I was a kid so have plenty of experience in both crochet and sewing.

I have also done oil paintings but since I do realism right now they don't sell that well so am sticking to my crochet and girls clothing.


What are your hopes and aspirations for your store and where do you see yourself going from here?
I use the money I make online to help our retirment income so will continue to try to grow my shops for more sales.


Have you experienced any major accomplishments or recognition?
In 2001 I was voted Best Childrens Designs by the About.com People choice awards!


What are three tools in your workspace that you could not live without?
The tools I could not do without would be, crochet hooks, a sewing machine, and a serger.


Have you ever experienced a craft disaster? What happened?
I don't know if you would call it a craft disaster or not but I have been to a few craft shows where everything just went wrong and came home with less money than I left with.


How much do you social network? Can you link us to your personal social media pages so we can follow you?
I do quite a bit of social networking! Follow me here!
Fan Page--https://www.facebook.com/Handmadegiftsbybarb?ref=h


What item in your shop is your top seller or is your favorite design?
Our top seller overall is my cowboy boots and cowboy boot and hat gift set.


What is your favorite item from another shop on The CraftStar, a with link? What do you like about the item?
My favorite items from is from Lizzy Beth Designs. This adorable Santa hat is so cute!


Thanks for taking the time to join us today Barbara. We appreciate you taking time out of our busy schedule so that we could interview you. Happy sales!



1 comment:

Unknown said...

what cute items....a very talented lady.
Debbi
-yankeeburrow