We've officially reached that time of year that many online vendors are starting to get hit with holiday online shopping. Because of that I wanted to provide you with some tips to protect yourself while doing your online shopping.
Shopping online on sites like The CraftStar offers lots of benefits you won't find shopping in traditional stores. The worldwide stores of the Internet never close. You can order a necklace from the United Kingdom, craft supplies from Greece or handwoven wall hangings from Mexico or Morocco -- anytime 365-days a year. Internet stores now offer more safe and flexible payment methods than ever before.
Only a few simple precautions are required to help ensure that your online shopping experience is a safe one:
- Use a Secure Web Browser - They scramble or "encrypt" your purchase information so that only you and the vendor can read it. Many online stores now "sense" whether or not your browser is secure and will help you proceed accordingly. DO NOT ORDER from online stores that do not offer secured transactions. Most new computers come with secured browsers installed, or you can download them free over the Internet.
- Keep Records - Most online stores will email you confirmation of your order. Print out and save these.
- Check your credit card and bank statements - look for errors and purchases you did not make. If you find errors, contact the vendor, call your credit card company and or bank immediately.
- Check the online store's policies - Look for disclosures about the Web site's security, refund and return policies, and statements about how the Web site will use your personal information. Look for links to "About" pages or "FAQ" pages. If a Web store says nothing about protecting your privacy, shop somewhere else.
Online and Off - Protect Your Identity
- Never tell your password - to anybody, not even your Internet service provider. Other than to gain access, no legitimate service will ever ask you for your password.
- Watch what you download - Never download files, run programs or view graphics sent to you by strangers. Beware of clicking on URL "links" sent to you in email by people you do not know.
- Most Important of All - Keep Your Personal Information Private! Unless you know the people asking and why they are asking for it, never tell anyone your address, telephone number, Social Security number, email address or passwords.
Happy shopping and as always if you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me at email@example.com about any questions you might have about the actual The CraftStar site. I'm here to help your online shopping experience be as pleasant as it should be.