Tuesday, August 28, 2012

The CraftStar Community Collection - Buttons&YarnOHMY





Buttons&YarnOHMY started back in 2010 when my husband and I first moved to Tennessee and I found myself knitting again. A lot. It was a great way to relieve stress and in my free time I started experimenting with different patterns and textures.

I find passion in creating something not only unique but useful from something as simple as yarn.
Since I was young my grandmother let me play with buttons, I’d sort them thousands of different ways and imagine the possibilities. Buttons are cool, and so unique so now I’m a collector and add a button ... or a dozen buttons to different projects. It's a little piece of me with every item.

Buttons&YarnOHMY has grown amazingly in just two short years. I'm constantly creating new and different things. I'm slowly in the process of making all of my products from local hand-spun/hand-dyed yarns.

My Favorite Items:




I found this yarn at a local shop, A Likely Yarn. It was absolutely perfect, warm, soft and just a little bulky. This is the third cowl I’ve made out of this wool. The first two were gifts for family members and I almost couldn’t part with this one.  I love oversized items for myself as far as fashion and style goes so I enjoy making items that I would personally wear.




I’m originally from northern Maine, and am used to long cold winters, but I hate hates. I figure I can’t be the only one so last winter I was playing with some new cowl patterns and decided to make the biggest cowl I could and have it be a hooded cowl. My only regret is that I didn’t write down the pattern I used! And can’t for the life of me remember how I made this, I’ve tried recreating it a number of times but never could, so this one is a personal favorite and truly one of a kind.



Having a deep rooted obsession with coffee I have an extensive collection of coffee mugs, and for some reason they are never insulated enough and to solve this problem, much to my husband’s dismay, I was using his travel mugs to drink my scalding hot coffee and sometimes tea. One night, after burning my hand for the thousandth time on a coffee mug my husband looked at me and jokingly said “why don’t you just knit something to go around it”. Even though he was joking I thought this was genius and I know I’m not the first person to ever think of this but I strive to make every one of my cozies unique, by either the color combination of yarn, the buttons, or the patterns I do.



1 comment:

Amanda said...

Lovely, interesting article Buttons - I love to hear how people get to where they are, their loves and passions and their hopes - thank you for sharing with us :)