Monday, July 22, 2013

Featured Artist: Dzign by Jamie


Hi Jaime! Thanks for joining us today. Tell us a little bit about yourself! 
My name is Jamie and I live in Northern Wisconsin. I am the owner of Dzign by Jamie. I am married to a wonderful man who supports my hobby turned business, and have two kids, four grand kids, and a cat and dog.



How did you get started in your handmade business?
I've always been a crafty person with sewing, macrame, leather work, needlework and knitting. Then stained glass with mom led to lampwork beads with a friend. Then I needed something to do with all those beads, so I tried my hand at jewelry. Living in the cold northern reaches of Wisconsin made it hard to make beads during the winter so it was time for a change and that's when I started hand stamped jewelry. I LOVE IT. I can really get creative and hammering on metal is so stress relieving. My customers are my best inspiration when it comes to stamping on metal. I love the ideas they have, and really enjoy making them into reality.



What are your hopes and aspirations for your store and where do you see yourself going from here?
I'm happy with my business as it stands.  I have to keep my day job for the health insurance, and I have enough business to fund what I love to do, hammer metal and torch beads!  I look forward being able to work at my hobby full time some day, maybe when I retire, or maybe before that when my husband is offered better health insurance.


Have you experienced any major accomplishments or recognition? 
My major accomplishments are the praises and compliments I get from my customers.  They're my best source of inspiration, and my greatest reward.  When I make them happy then I'm happy!


What are three tools in your workspace that you could not live without?
Hammer, magnifying lamp, camera


Have you ever experienced a craft disaster? What happened? 
All the time!  That's how you learn.  You should see the pile of discs with upside down letters, or glass beads that look like something sat on it when it was still hot!



How important is marketing for your small business and what has been most effective for you?
Very important, it's how I get my name out there and show off my creations!


What item in your shop is your top seller or is your favorite design?
My pet tags are my best selling items.  And my favorite items are my glass beads! They're my pride and joy.

What are your 2 favorite items from other shops on The CraftStar, with links? What do you like about them?
My two favorite items are from Made By The Hearth and Rustic Moon Series



Thanks for taking the time to join us today Jamie. We appreciate you taking time out of our busy schedule so that we could interview you. Happy sales! 


1 comment:

Butt Nekkid Bath Boutique said...

Whatever you do, BUY some of Jamie's jewelry. You will be extremely pleased! She makes the cutest pieces and she will customize jewelry for you too!

Go.

Now.

Buy.